Can I dispute my bill?
Water meters are a tool that tends to be incredibly accurate in determining your water use. While older meters can lose accuracy over time, it benefits the customer because more water goes through the meter than it counts. Most meters that are 20 years old are still 95% accurate.
If you do not agree with the amount that you’re being billed, you can dispute your water bill.
If your water is scheduled to be turned off for non-payment, a written dispute must be submitted two (2) business days before the shutoff date on your bill. Your water will not be turned off while our team reviews your dispute or you have an open appeal to the Board of Directors.
- Fill out the dispute form (below) with your details and the reason you do not agree with the amount Desert Water Agency has billed you. Please include as many details as possible to support your case. (Paper forms are available for those who need them – please call 760-323-4971 and press 0 to request.)
- Give us time to process. Our team will review your dispute and respond to you in writing within 10 business days. We take this time to investigate the circumstances of your complaint. We may contact you for additional details during this phase. Supervisor-level staff will make the decision about your claim.
- If you are not satisfied with the decision, you have the opportunity to submit an appeal within 10 business days. Instructions on how to submit an appeal will be provided in writing if your dispute is rejected.
- Give us time to process. Our management team will review the appeal and present it to the Board of Directors for their decision. You will be informed of the date that the Board of Directors will hear the appeal. It will be heard at a public meeting that you are welcome to attend and provide verbal and/or written comments.
- The decision of the Board of Directors is final and will be carried out by Desert Water Agency staff. If your appeal is granted, please allow two billing cycled to see changes reflected/credited on your bill.
Bill dispute form
You can also download the PDF above, fill it out and mail or deliver it to our office.
mail: PO Box 1710, Palm Springs, CA 92263-1710
physical address: 1200 Gene Autry Trail S, Palm Springs, CA 92264
5. Procedures to Contest or Appeal a Bill