Soak up water education
If you’ve ever been curious about water in the desert, then Water Counts Academy may be for you.
In its fourth year, the academy returns to UCR-Palm Desert in February with classes from 5:30-7:30 p.m.each Tuesday.
The comprehensive course is led by experts on water use and management and is designed for community members who want a better understanding of water.
The course schedule and topics is as follows:
- February 4: Local Water Overview, History of Water in the Coachella Valley and Coachella Valley Water Sources
- February 11: Water Quality & Regulations and Economics of Water Rates
- February 18: Building & Development, Agriculture & Water-Efficient Techniques and Cannabis
- February 25: Conservation Planning and Golf & Recycled Water
- February 29: Half-day tour of water Infrastructure across the valley and graduation ceremony.
Classes are held at UCR Palm Desert and include dinner and refreshments each night. The academy accepts 40 students into the program. They are required to attend all sessions in order to receive a completion certificate.
Apply by Friday, Jan. 17
For more information or to apply, go to cvwatercounts.com/academy