Grass to Desert Landscape Program Details
- $1 per square foot rebate (Cathedral City Residents may also be eligible for Cathedral City WaterSmart Landscapes Grants)
- Artificial turf can be counted as "plant cover" (you may use the rebate toward a 1:1 replacement of artificial turf for grass)
- Single-family homes - if there is a fence, hedge or wall of any type/height between the street and your project, it is ineligible. Back yards are not eligible
- Large-scale projects will be evaluated based on eligibility requirements and project merits
- Turf must be in place to receive DWA approval - this means no retroactive turf removal projects will be approved.
- Applicants must provide a before and after photo for conversions
- Rebates are considered taxable income by the IRS
Beware of plant theft - we have had several reports of stolen succulents!
Single-family homes will be processed first come, first served. Large-scale projects will be evaluated based on eligibility requirements and project merits.
If you intend to apply, it is important that you review the following documents.
Large-scale projects (any HOA, business or public project, regardless of square footage)
- pdf Application guide for large-scale projects
- pdf Frequently asked questions for large-scale projects
Single-family home projects (no back yards or areas behind fence/wall/hedge/gate)
- pdf Application guide for single-family homes
- pdf Frequently asked questions for single-family homes
pdf Map guide (large-scale projects only)
Workshops & Additional Information
We held a workshop in March 2019 for customers interested in the program. To view the presentation, click below. Please note some of the information may change throughout the course of the year. Contact our office at 760-323-4971 if you have any questions.
Finished with your project?
If you are finished with your project, please click here to fill out the 'Project Complete' checklist. You will also need to submit your receipts and a completed W-9 form before we can issue your check.